KC BassFest 2017
ONE ticket for SIX Days of BASS at SIX amazing Venues! $25!
http://kcbassfest2017.brownpapertickets.com (link will soon be active)
This page is currently getting updated for the 2017 season.
KC BassFest Performances are June 13-18th.
Passes available online at 2017 KC BassFest Passes or by calling (816) 305-7559 to put your name on the list. One ticket will be included in all KC Bass Workshop participants’ fees or if you signed up for pre registration tickets.
Purchase tickets online at 2017 KC BassFest Passes
Keep up with the events on our KC BassFest Facebook page!
Post your pictures with #KCBassFest to our Instagram!
Download the press release KC BassFest 2016 PR Final.
Unless otherwise noted, all KC BassFest evening performances will be held at Shawnee Mission North High School Auditorium, 7401 Johnson Dr. Overland Park, KS 66202. Concerts will be in Auditorium and Parking in Far West lot. Please call (816) 305-7559 with any questions not answered by website kcbassworkshop.com or websites listed below regarding the festival or Workshop.
Tuesday June 13th arrival party 6:00 The Green Lady Lounge. This is the spot where many people coming to the workshop come to say hello before the week starts. You don’t need a bassfest fix to enter this concert but, please tell them you are part of the bassfest. The lounge is one of KCs finest jazz listening clubs. greenladylounge.com 1809 Grand Blvd. Kansas City, MO 64108.
4: Tracy Rowell, Jessica Valls Classical concert on a high level.
7- Syzmon Marciniak Jaw dropping Classical performance, and Eric Thorin Bluegrass and other styles of folk music,
Thursday 15th 4: Lloyd Goldstein and Andrew Ryan- an hour of folk solo bass!
7-The Ship. Three amazing jazz bassists concert. Ben Liefer, Hans Sturm, Gerald Spaits
This night is a celebration of Geralds new album named Solo Bass.
The legendary Ship (as featured in the movie Kansas City by Robert altman…with Ron Carter and Christian McBride) is always full of great Jazz music in the historic West Bottoms (where the artists live). theshipkc.com 1217 Union Ave, Kansas City, Mo 64101
9 til Late nite: thursday nite at the ship is a regular hotbed of great kcmusic. See what KCbass family member Micha Herman has scheduled for you.
Friday June 16th
The Record Bar *New Location* 1520 Grand Blvd, Kansas City, Mo 64108
Jeff Harshbarger presents
7 Johnny Hamil presents Video Game solo Bass music with Sylvain Rabbath. Come hear a preview of the first tracks of an album for all those that love the music of video games.
7:15 Jeff Harshbarger (KC) and Brian Roessler (St. Paul) This duet is amazing to see and hear under the great PA of the Record Bar. Jeff has run the highly attended and long running series for improvised music at the record bar. This set will highlight the creators love and abilities to make music from so many sources.
745-9 Mark Dresser Mark Dresser (San Diego) One of the most unique voices to emerge on the double bass in the past 20 years. Come see some of the most unique improvisations and sounds the double bass has to offer.
Late nite: 9:15 My Brothers and My Sisters. People are encouraged to stay and hear one of KC great original music scene’s artists. This band is stunning to hear and watch and the bass player grooves the whole night. Great vocals and great songs.
Sat June 17th
7 Francois Rabbath and Sylvain Rabbath (Paris) Rated as one of the top concerts by the KCStar in the past two years. Rabbath returns to one of the most amazing sounding acoustic rooms in the city right downtown KCMO. Don’t miss this concert as it may be the best place to hear him in all of his concerts in KC. At 86 years young his stamina and performance abilities are just an inspiration to behold. Grace and Holy trinity Church.
Sun June 18th
Final Blow out Bass orchestra Concert Featuring Francois Rabbath, Mark Dresser performing with 70 piece Bass orchestra! The Artists perform with the students in a massively fun and only once a year concert of total devastation! Features all styles of music, Classical, Jazz, Rock, Original music, Weird and Wacky, and everything in between.
Pardon the work in progress….Below is from last year and is being edited as you read this. __your loyal but really just bass players staff at KCBASS
Thursday, July 14th
Arrival party. Welcome to KC!
- 5:30p The Green Lady Lounge greenladylounge.com 1809 Grand Blvd. Kansas City, MO 64108 (816) 295-2954. All ages of KCBassFest people can come listen for free (21+ after 9pm). Come hear jazz in one of KC’s finest jazz listening clubs.
- 9:00p-1:00a KCBassFest Late Night hang (no cover, 21+): The Ship theshipkc.com 1217 Union Ave, Kansas City, Mo 64101. The legendary Ship (as featured in the movie Kansas City by Robert Altman…with Ron Carter and Christian McBride) is always full of great Jazz music in the historic West Bottoms (where the artists live).
Friday, July 15th
Classical night. No concert from 4-5p (KC Strings trip). Three premiere soloists present an amazing evening performance of great classical selections at Shawnee Mission North High School Auditorium.
Saturday, July 16th
Classical concert by the four ladies of the Double Bass! Shawnee Mission North High School Auditorium.
- 4:00p Jessica Valls (Austin) and Kate Jones (Dallas)
- 4:30p Sarah Lahasky (Austin) and Cielito De Jesus (Los Angeles)
- 7:00p Jeff Harshbarger (KC) and Brian Roessler (St. Paul) This duet is amazing to see and hear under the great PA of the recordBar. Jeff runs the highly attended and long running Jeff Harshbarger presents An Alternative Jazz Series for improvised music at recordBar. This set will highlight the creators love and abilities to make music from many sources.
- 7:45p Zach Rizer (Portland, and KC native bassist with band Mouth) Zach’s staggering technique, amazing improvisations, and beautiful electric bass tone will be part of this performance.
- 8:30p Dominique Sanders does solo Bass DJ set (KC) Fresh new sounds and ways to perform with the bass.
Sunday, July 17th
Welcome KC BassFest 2016 to the historic 18th and Vine district: The American Jazz Museum’s Blue Room http://club.americanjazzmuseum.org/ 1616 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108 (816) 474-2929
- 4:00p Gav7d Johnny Hamil (KC) w/ Sylvain Rabbath, Mark Southerland, Kent Burnham, Nick Howell, Tina Bilberry and more. The second release of Cartoonoirjazz will be featured with Vocal numbers from last year’s release and the soon to be released Man of Action Lp featuring the Exoticafreemiddleastern.
- 7:00p Bob Bowman (KC) and Gerald Spaits (KC) Duet of KC’s most iconic jazz bass players who rarely perform as a duo. Come see these two in a very special way as we honor their legacy to the kc jazz scene.
- 7:30p Hans Sturm (Lincoln) Freshly new bass and piano release “A Day in Paris” by Hans Sturm will be featured during this concert.
- 8:30p Mark Dresser (San Diego) One of the most unique voices to emerge on the double bass in the past 20 years. Come see some of the most unique improvisations and sounds the double bass has to offer.
Monday, July 18th
- 7:00p Maestro François Rabbath and Sylvain Rabbath (Paris) at: The Gem Theater at the American Jazz Museum, 1615 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108.
Rabbath returns with a new concert of jazz music with strings and percussion. Rabbath is well known for his revolutionary style of playing the double bass. He also shares a great legacy of performing with many of the great European jazz masters, Michel Legrand, Edith Piaf, Jacques Brael and American greats as Ornette Coleman and Quincy Jones. Rated as one of the top concerts by The Kansas City Star’s music critic Robert Trussell and was listed one of his top five shows for the Best of 2013.
Purchase tickets for this concert online at 2016 KC BassFest Passes.
Tuesday, July 19th
2016 KC BassFest and KC Bass Workshop’s Final Blow Out Bass Orchestra concerts. Shawnee Mission North High School Auditorium.
- 4:00p Bill McKemy (KC) One of KC’s finest jazz bassists cuts loose with his solo material. Two CD’s of his solo material to date along with many recordings backing a score of great artists.
- 4:30p Lloyd Goldstein (Tampa Bay) Classical, Rock (recently performing with Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane), Folk (Singing Trees), and his healing power of music (Lloyd works at the many Hospitals in Tampa helping people during their time of healing). A workshop favorite of many, Don’t miss this amazing set.
- 7:00p KC Bass Workshop’s Final Blow out Bass orchestra Concert. Featuring François Rabbath, Mark Dresser performing with 70 piece Bass orchestra! See Tracy Rowell, Dr. Hans Sturm, Johnny Hamil, Bob Bowman, Bill McKemy, Brian Roessler, and more! The Artists perform with the students in a massively fun and only once a year concert of total devastation! Features all styles of music, Classical, Jazz, Rock, Original music, Weird and Wacky, and everything in between. Includes small ensemble presentations. The final KCBW Bass Orchestra concert will feature everyone involved in the workshop. Come see and hear the unbelievable once-in-a-lifetime concert!
The KC BassFest is a six-day festival of bass solo concerts that will feature some of the greatest voices on the instrument as well as up-and-coming artists in this exciting and ever expanding musical medium. The festival invites concertgoers of all styles of music to come experience artistic expression in a way that you’ve never imagined the bass could do!
The KC BassFest occurs in conjunction with the KCBW, a world-class annual symposium inspiring the future in the art of playing the bass. The workshop holds no boundaries to age group, style, or level of performance, and also works as a bass festival with great concerts open to the public that invites the whole region in to learn more about the art of playing the bass. This also helps the Kansas City Symphony build the next generation of artists, increase concert attendance at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts; preserves KC’s rich jazz heritage; and helps inspire and connect the great original rock, pop, and rap scene that exists in the city. Funds raised will go to support KCBW. The KCBW provided funding for the events as well as scholarship assistance for applicants, which are vital to the existence of the workshop in the future. For more information, visit www.kcbassworkshop.com.
International Center for Music posted this picture from the Rabbath concert at 2013 KCBW. “A week ago we were hosting the KC Bass Workshop here at ICM. Here is a picture of the Finale with 10 basses on stage with Francois Rabbath. What a sound!!!”